"These children are rascals."
"I feel bad for all of their other teachers--the gym or music teachers."
"I am being honest with you, your children are very difficult to teach."
"Now I see why your kids are the way they are! You don't listen either."
"I had help from the parents of my previous class... no one here volunteered."
"I see, it's going to be just like it was with remodeling the classroom--no one is going to help."
"Well, I see I'll have to ask the previous class' parents, since no one here will offer to help."
This is a sampling of what Tima's teacher said to the group of parents at the first parents' meeting this fall. We have always heard that Russia's system of education is 'shame-based'. And we've had glimpses of it from preschool teachers and even Danya's teacher. But it was very interesting to see how it works with an old-school teacher. By the end of the meeting, she had a few grandmothers scolding her ("Now, that's not necessary!") but most of the young mothers were jumping to raise their hands to volunteer to write names on books and do projects for the teacher. And we had no idea how we could teach our children to sit still, listen to directions, and ask to leave the room to blow their noses. (One of her pet peeves is how many children have not been taught that it's rude to blow your nose in the room.) She had trained us well, and I'm sure will continue!
On the positive side, Tima is enjoying school. He has a few friends that he loves to see everyday. And his favorite times of the day are at the cafeteria (sweet porridge!) and gym (three times a week!) So far, we haven't heard that the teacher has criticized him at all. And he is surprising us with how open and talkative he is about everything that happens. So, we are continuing to intentionally build him up at home, as well as evaluating what is happening in the classroom.
"I feel bad for all of their other teachers--the gym or music teachers."
"I am being honest with you, your children are very difficult to teach."
"Now I see why your kids are the way they are! You don't listen either."
"I had help from the parents of my previous class... no one here volunteered."
"I see, it's going to be just like it was with remodeling the classroom--no one is going to help."
"Well, I see I'll have to ask the previous class' parents, since no one here will offer to help."
This is a sampling of what Tima's teacher said to the group of parents at the first parents' meeting this fall. We have always heard that Russia's system of education is 'shame-based'. And we've had glimpses of it from preschool teachers and even Danya's teacher. But it was very interesting to see how it works with an old-school teacher. By the end of the meeting, she had a few grandmothers scolding her ("Now, that's not necessary!") but most of the young mothers were jumping to raise their hands to volunteer to write names on books and do projects for the teacher. And we had no idea how we could teach our children to sit still, listen to directions, and ask to leave the room to blow their noses. (One of her pet peeves is how many children have not been taught that it's rude to blow your nose in the room.) She had trained us well, and I'm sure will continue!
On the positive side, Tima is enjoying school. He has a few friends that he loves to see everyday. And his favorite times of the day are at the cafeteria (sweet porridge!) and gym (three times a week!) So far, we haven't heard that the teacher has criticized him at all. And he is surprising us with how open and talkative he is about everything that happens. So, we are continuing to intentionally build him up at home, as well as evaluating what is happening in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment