Down Day

I've been meaning to write and let you know how beautiful the snowy woods are across the street, how comfortable to live with the Huddlestons, and how thankful we are for the easiest transition ever!

But today was my first down day. I was tempted to wait and write tomorrow, or whenever I'm feeling more positive. But in the interest of transparency, I'll share how I'm doing today, and not try to shine it up...though hopefully, tomorrow I'll have to update you with how happy I am, so you don't worry!

Today was frustrating. The third day of Eric’s three-day trip to Moscow. (Which has been easy overall, as Trisha and I have been able to trade off some childcare, and she still does most of the cooking! And the four boys are still loving playing together.)

I went to look at another flat, without Eric. One that was very close by, but in terrible condition. It’s actually bigger than the ones we’ve been looking at—the refrigerator fit in the kitchen, unlike the last two where it was in a hall or a closet—but we still couldn’t have fit around the table to eat. And it was smelly and dark and the paint was peeling terribly. And then the realtor told me that there were two different really nice places, just farther away. But that means having to ride the tram 3 or 5 stops. Last time I did that, it took 30 minutes. (Which was due to an unusual traffic jam, but still!) And sometimes the trams don’t come for 10 minutes. So it’s hard to do with the kids and not get exhausted. We so much want to be near the Huddlestons, so that we can see each other, help each other and the kids can be with their friends a lot!

Tomorrow when Eric’s back we’re going to look at one of the farther away apartments. The nice thing is that rents are falling, so hopefully we’ll be paying about 50-60% of what we were paying in Kiev. But it’s been really frustrating to only see four places in two weeks, and feel none of them are really good options. So you can pray for wisdom for us. It’s so hard to choose between a place that’s in poor condition, tiny, but close by, and one that’s farther away but nice and big. It just depresses me to think of being that far away. But we can’t stay here with the Huddlestons forever (gracious as they are!) and soon we'll have to accept one of the not-ideal options. I think I’m frustrated with God, because we’ve been praying for this for so long, and I just think, “How hard can it be, in this place of high-rise apartments all over, to just have one decent one for rent nearby?” I know His plans are not mine, and want to not be resentful over withheld answers to our prayers. But today, that was hard.

It doesn’t help that yesterday the temperature rose above zero, and the snow got slushy, and I can’t push the stroller at all anymore. And the kids got soaked immediately on the playground . Even after all day on the radiators, the coats and snowpants and mittens and boots and hats are not all dry. And since we lived through the wet transition in Kiev during January, I know exactly what we’re in for--but worse. There’s been a lot of snow here, and we’ve been loving it! But that means a lot to melt. Already, the crosswalks are guarded by puddles, and I have to choose between getting my feet soaked or walking a big detour (hard with the stroller and 2-4 boys taggin along). It’s going to be messy. If it was warm maybe that would help, but I don’t count 35F as warm!

So, that's where I am tonight. Hopefully some sleep, a husband home and a day of rest will bring some optimism to the next post!

No comments: